Tuesday, January 30, 2007

January Socks - Snowflake Lace

Just in time, my January Socktopia socks.


I achieved a (somewhat subjective) thematic trifecta with these socks:
- They are based on the Snowflake lace socks from MagKnits. I switched it around a little by using magic loop instead of DPNs, and doing more pattern repeats on smaller needles.
- I started them on my birthday (Woo, celebrate!)
- I finished them on Monday, January 29.

I used KnitPicks Essential in Dusk. I really can't say that I'm impressed with this yarn. It was extremely splitty, and not very soft. After wearing them around the house for a few days I can tell that they'll pill like crazy. Oh well, you get what you pay for.


This is only the second pair of socks I've ever completed. Note that I did not say second ever started.

I did my first short-row heel, and I found it easier to do than a heel flap heel.


The "cup" seems a bit shallow though, so I'm not sure how these socks will wear.

The lace pattern is very pretty and easy to memorize.

It is the same lace pattern used in Glasgow Lace, which is one of the reasons that I chose this pattern. I was happy to have the lace pattern down pat so I could focus on the sock construction.

I am happy enough with these socks, and looking forward to even better ones for February!

3 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

Very, very pretty. I love them!

8:52 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Nice socks!! It's always nice to have a pair of handmade socks!

9:25 AM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

Your socks are really pretty! I love the lace pattern.

I've come over from knit 'n lit to wish you a belated happy birthday. I noticed you have coral crossing on your list. I hope to make that too someday!

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home